Spencers, Pelisses, and Prestons, Oh My!

I recently earned this pattern by working outside in the yard, moving rocks:


The person on the far left is wearing a sleeveless pelisse with a frog enclosure. In the middle is a spencer jacket, closing the same way. On the far right is a double-breasted pelisse that can also be made a spencer jacket if you omit the skirt part.

I don't have any material yet, but I am coming up with ideas about what I want to make. I'm not much of a fan of Pride and Prejudice 2005 (starring Keira Knightley), and I think most of the costumes are pretty sad-looking. But one that I do like in it is Lizzie's coat:

I am pretty sure this is the same coat that Elinor wears in Sense & Sensibility 2007, but I don't have an up-close picture to compare. I simply love the way it blows in the wind when she (Elinor) is climbing the hill and thinking about Edward. *sighs* I think I can make something pretty close to that using the Spencer jacket pattern (the one in the middle) and adding a skirt to it. The collar still wouldn't be the same, but I am not sure how to make that kind of collar... Anyway, I'd like to get some brown linen, and either I'd close it with frogs or alter the pattern to button in the front like Lizzie's. Any ideas?

Another of Elinor Dashwood's costumes that I like is her blue pelisse. Marianne's is really cute too. :-)



Elinor's looks just like Mrs. Chancey's pelisse pattern and looks like it would be so much fun to make. I'm not sure what material it would be made out of... it looks like a thicker material, but it's hard to tell. What do you think?

You are probably wondering what the word "Prestons" in my post title had to do with anything. It doesn't really, except that another coat that I want to reproduce is Molly's when she goes to meet Mr. Preston in BBC's Wives and Daughters (my 100% favourite movie!!)

She also wears it when she is showing Cynthia around Hollingford in Episode 2.


This is one of my favourites of Molly's costumes! ;-) (That's about all of them, actually. :-P) It looks like a very similar pattern to her red dress that she wears at the very beginning of Episode 2 when she meets Cynthia. The fabric looks like wool or something along that line, and the collar is faced with black-- I'm assuming velvet.

When hauling rocks, I also earned this pattern from Sense and Sensibility:


Once I have made an 1830's corset and petticoat, as well as some Romantic era dress, I'd like to try making Molly's coat by altering the day dress (in the picture, it is worn by the girl who is stooping). This won't be for a while though, due to lack of fabric and lack of money to buy fabric. ;-) But it's nice to plan. I do have both of those patterns and I can at least make a toile to fit. I welcome any of your ideas on how to make these projects, and which one you think I should do first! :-)

Comments

Popular Posts