Polyvore Fun and Etsy Ideas

I got a Polyvore account sometime back.  Now, most of you know, I'm no fashionista.  I have very little knowledge of modern styles or how to make myself look good in them.  I got Polyvore just for the fun of making collages. ;-)
I'm still not very good at it but here is what I've made so far:

I know this one's very simple, but I had fun with it.  It was my first Polyvore set.
Based on "If My Heart was a House" by Owl City... I tried to incorporate details from the song but couldn't find everything I wanted.  Still, anyway. :-)

This was very spur-of-the-moment--- I was demonstrating Polyvore to Amanda and was trying to think of a topic, and she said "Coffee" and this is what came of it. ;-)
 Okay.  Now about Etsy ideas.
I'm thinking about opening a separate Etsy shop exclusively for my doll clothes and leaving the other one up for other items.  I'm also wanting to do some "series", perhaps seasonal collections or series based on movie costumes.  Here are some ideas I had:

* Lucy Pevensie's wardrobe from the Walden Narnia films (maybe Susan's too, eventually, but I'm not sure)
* Princess Bride costumes (that would be a challenge)
* Disney Princess outfits (not just the main ones... also one's like Belle's blue pinafore dress and things like that)
* an exclusive Regency/Jane Austen collection
* seasonal collections (spring, summer, fall, winter)

PLEASE, do you have any other ideas that would be nice for doll clothes?  Maybe ask little friends of yours that play with American Girl dolls... what kind of outfits they'd like to have for their dolls.  I might not take everyone's ideas (it all depends on if I can find the right fabrics and can copy the look, you know ;-) ) but the more ideas I have, the better knowledge I'll have of what people like. :-)

Comments

I love your ideas, especially the regency/Jane Austen dresses, the Disney Princess dresses, and the Lucy Pevensie gown! :) What about some of Arwen's costumes from "The Lord of the Rings"? You might also think about including Rapunzel's outfit in your Disney Princess line...I'm sure a lot of little girls would be interested in that (and maybe some big girls, too). :) Can't wait to see what you come up with! :)
Anonymous said…
While we're on the LOTR topic, you might include Éowyn's gowns, too. And Hobbit-lasses! :-D (Similar to Renaissance or Colonial garb. Sorta.)

Another idea would be to incorporate some different traditional costumes from various parts of the world--Africa, Asia, India, Russia, etc. How about Gypsy costumes??

OK, I'll stop. I love costume design, can you tell? :-P There's all sorts of fun things you could do! Have fun. ;-)

God bless,
~"Wild Rose"~
Alyssa W. said…
Oh, I *love* the black and blue dress in the first collage you made!! Where did you find the picture? Now I want to try making one for myself! :)

I think a Jane Austen collection of doll dressed would be lovely, as well as dresses from the 1930's - 1950's. :)
Anna Olivia said…
Ooooh, the medieval gown is SO lovely!~*
I'll definitely consider the LotR dresses and the various traditional costumes! Those are some excellent ideas! Thank you, ladies!

Alyssa, I found the black and blue dress by searching "medieval" on the Polyvore site. Isn't it lovely!
momawake said…
I was thinking that you have to know your customer, which seems sort of impossible. If the age range is say 8-12 then Disney Princesses might be a good way to go. If you think older girls and adults are buying for themselves then I can see that the other ideas might work. One thing I've noticed is that sometimes what I think would be good (the Christmas coats) just isn't. The more generic coats sold, while only a few of the others did.

Another thing to consider is your competition. Are there others making costumes, and how many others? If there aren't any or very many, then you could find a market.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Thank you so much, Mrs. W! That is just the kind of advice I needed to hear (especially as your shop seems to be doing very well!)

From what I can tell, modern and 1930s-1970s inspired doll clothes are for sale all over Etsy, but I haven't seen much in the way of Regency style or movie costume remakes. And all my Regency era dresses sold. I guess I'd better get cooking with the Regency style! :-) :-) :-)

Again, thanks so much!
Kathleen S. said…
Here's an idea....if you have a literary bent, you could choose some of the lesser heroines of the Austen books and make their outfits! And maybe even develop their personalities further as well! Such as, Charlotte or Kitty in Pride and Prejudice, Mrs. Croft in Persuasion, etc.

And another...how about making the movie outfits of a Disney character, then also making something she would wear nowadays? Kind of a historical/modern collection revolving around her character. Something for everyone!
Johanna said…
An Idea for American Girl dolls would be to make a Tangled Dress! My little sis' is REALLY into tangled just now, and would adore a tangled dress for her American girl doll, as she has Elizabeth! (who has really long gold hair)! Which is perfect! :D

Ah.... Little Sisters! *smile*
That's a great idea, Johanna! Once I finish up some custom orders, I'll see what I can come up with regarding an AG Tangled dress!! :-D

Kathleen, that's a neat idea too! I'll definitely think on it and see what I can come up with!

Popular Posts