Regency Spencer Jacket: Finished!

All except for the buttons and buttonholes on the wristbands, I have finished my Regency Spencer Jacket!
Thank you to Marianne for crocheting the frog closures!
It was a beautiful today; perfect for Margaret to get pictures for me! :-)


The back:
Looking up:

Because I had based this jacket off of Lizzie's black jacket that she wears when she walks to Netherfield, I decided to try to get some "Lizziesque" shots. Here I am supposed to be meeting up with Mr. Darcy. I had a hard time getting the right look though.
Margaret got one of me "walking to Netherfield" too but it turn out too well.

Now to do a brief overview-- thank you, Ashley, for the outline! :-)

Pattern Description: "Spencer jacket" based on an original Regency fashion and off of Lizzie's black Spencer from the '95 movie version of Pride & Prejudice

Pattern Sizing: I cut a size 8, which is my usual size, but since I was wearing it over my stays and dress, I had to use small seam allowances to make it a little bigger. I might cut it in size 10 next time.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing it? Yes!

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes! I always find Mrs. Chancey's patterns wonderful to understand and work with!

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I got the look I was going for!! :-) I especially like how Mrs. Chancey gives ideas and instructions for so many different options; it is a very versatile pattern.

Fabric Used: velveteen from WalMart and silky solid material from JoAnn's

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I made a stand up collar instead of the fold-over one in the pattern, to achieve the look of Lizzie's spencer. I actually substituted the collar with the collar piece from the 1909 "Beatrix" Shirtwaist pattern! :-P

Would you sew it again? Oh yes! I might not use the velveteen next time though... the next will probably be linen. ;-)

Would you recommend it to others? You bet I would!!

I love it!!

Comments

Jecca said…
looks gorgeous! great work :)

-Jessica (Jecca413 @ S&S)
Avonlea_dreamer said…
OH! It looks wonderful!!
Ana said…
Well done!! It's so beautiful. Takes me back to P&P movies. :)
Gaby said…
Oh, oh!! I LOVE it, "Elinor"! It looks very much like Elizabeth's! Now I want one! :P

~Gabrielle
Margaret D. said…
Very nice, Eleanor!
It WAS a great day to take pictures!! Thanks for asking me to take them!:D

Margaret
~ Shannon said…
Oh, it's so lovely! Beautiful work, and what a beautiful result!

Blessings,
Shannon
Rebecca Ann said…
Yes so loverly!! I love your dress also and I just love that your sister crocheted the frog closures! thats great! A wonderful creation! It looks warm and beautiful! a great job!!
Caroline said…
It's beautiful!
I tagged y'all.
the W. family said…
Lovely work; you look so nice! :) I've been thinking about making a Spencer someday...now I really feel like it! Thanks for the inspiration!
~Alyssa
OHH!! I love the regency era! I recenlty made a Maid Marian dress and posted it on my blog for a contest, and now I'm working on an 1860's dress, complete with the works, hoops, corset, chemise, and drawers! And why, you ask, am I sitting on the computer?!LOL!
Rebekah said…
Beautiful!! You did a wonderful job!! :)

To the KING be all the glory!
Rebekah

BLOG: http://www.donotgrowweary.com/blog

"Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15
Sarah said…
BEAUTIFUL! You did a lovely job. This particular spencer is one of my favorite's of Lizzie's. . .she has such a beautiful wardrobe. :)You did a great job recreating it. And a beautiful setting for pictures too.

Popular Posts